Sunday, September 21, 2008

Goodbye, Yankee Stadium



The Yanks played their last game tonight at the old stadium. I have never actually been inside the stadium though I've seen it from the outside a couple of times when my brother attended the Merchant Marine Academy (the un-armed force) in Long Island. I serioulsy regret not being able to get out there to actually see a game from the first team I ever remember rooting for as a kid. But hey, all good things must come to an end and I say a fond farewell to Yankee Stadium. The first series I remember as a kid was the 1981 world series where a pudgy rookie named Fernado Valenzuela stymied the Yanks. I pretty much suffered through the 80's with the Yanks always finishing second (or third) to Boston, Detroit or Toronto. Of course, there was the late 90's and early 00's Championships from the likes of Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neil, Andy Pettite, Mariano Rivera and the captain, the biggest man crush I've ever had, Derek Jeter. From David Cone's and David Wells' perfect games, to the shocking world series win against Atlanta in '96, to Derek Jeter's hustle, to Jim Leryrit's top of the sixth shocking homer off Wohlers in '96, to Bernie Williams bambi like trot, to Paul O'Neil's bright, red ass urging the Yankees on, to Mo Rivera shutting it down in the ninth. There are just too many memories to rip through. I actually think ESPN did a fantastic job covering the last game tonight. Even though they are complete Boston homers they did a fabulous job and I commend them. It was kind of cool to see Babe Ruth's granddaughter to toss out the first pitch, to hear the legendary announcer Bob Sheppard belting out the starting lineup, to hear Frank Sinatra's New York, New York, and of course, to hear The Captain's last message to the faithful crowd. Goodbye, Yankee Stadium, she sure stinks like hell but I'll miss her, like all my girlfriends (Farva!)

No comments: